This week's guest
Motion has been taking center stage in the user experience world. Adding motion to the interface can help enhance the experience by aiding users in completing their tasks successfully. In this episode, Mark Geyer and I talk about the various techniques involved in UI animation, where to begin animating and how to do it in such a way that it is beneficial to users.
In this episode we discuss:
- Swarm app
- Opinion on parallax animation
- How to begin animation in a page
- Storyboarding animation
- IBM design language
- Ideal timing for animation – 150ms to 1s
- Animation prototyping
- Measuring effectiveness
- Salesforce app
- Stripe animation
Literature on Animation for further reading
- The Animator’s Toolkit by Richard Williams
- Great book for getting into animation for the next generation of animators written by a traditional animator.
- The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston
- 12 principles of animation
- A classic for knowledge of where the original animation principles came from.
- Cartoon Animation by Preston Blair
- A book more about character animation and sequencing. A great book to at least flip through understand how emotions are conveyed through traditional animated characters.
and resources – straight to your inbox